Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by GS on July 18, 2001 at 10:56:16:

In Reply to: Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion? posted by Achilles on July 18, 2001 at 07:38:45:

Achileas,

I don't seem to understand 100% what you're trying to say. Quickly before i leave for home let me point out a few things:

You do not seem to say yourself that Christianity is anti-simitic (something that Maya does), but i think I detect some irony on the way you put in the end: "I thought Christians were supposed to be loving and kind to their neighbors". I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

>": You 're basically stating that the Greeks should not be Christians because Christ was of Jewish origin.

 Why would you make this assumption? Could you assume instead that I was pointing out the cultural importance of maintaining one’s ancestral heritage?"

Yes, but according to you in order as you say for Greeks to maintain their ancestral heritage they should not have been influenced by a judeic religion as christianity, am I right? So, you're basically saying what I said above.

"> Would you say that I am Anti-Turkish or Anti-Islamic if I were to point out some of the obvious Arabic and Turkish influences in parts of Greece?"

I don't understand your sentence here. But you did not just state that christianity has influences from Judeism, you said that because of these influences the ancient hellenic heritage is not preserved, and you do not seem to like that. Am i right?

">The argument is one of ancestral lineage. Had I used the analogy of an exotic plant or animal lifeform exported to a foreign nation and the dangers of disrupting the natural ecosystem…How would you have responded? Why should distinct human cultures be any different? Try looking at it this way…a foreign entity invades the natural habitat of a local wildlife. How long before a potentially serious disruption occurs within the environment?"

These are very strong opinions. Why do you assume that a foreign entity can only influence negatively and cause serious disruption?? There can be a very positive influence as well!!! If any nation was not influenced by its surroundings and surrounding cultures we would still be stuck in middle ages!! And humans are not just plants.(by the way potatoes were supposed to be "exotic" a few centuries ago and now they grow perfectly in the Greek lands without disturbing the ecosystem)

I found your answer on what if Christ was black or chinese not very specific(except if you were just stating something else under that sentence).

Finally, about Alexander the Great, his troops and his journey to Asia do you also find it intruding and a foreign entity that caused serious disruption towards the native Asian population? Or because he was Greek and it is in our interest he just spread the hellenic culture all over the world?

Ok, that's my views, i really believe that we could have a much more constructive conversation in Greek since i would find it much easier to say what I want to say.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]