Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Achilles on July 19, 2001 at 05:50:24:

In Reply to: Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion? posted by GS on July 19, 2001 at 04:05:08:

SOME UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

GS:

I have been enjoying the discussion so far, however before we go any further, would you please answer some earlier questions that I feel have not been individually addressed.

1. I would love to return and mention a few points that you, as evidently quite ignorant (with all due respect) about the way that Christianity was embraced by Hellenes as a liberating philosophy

 Please do!  what’s your version?

2. one that freed her from centuries of fraternal warfare because of the emphasis on the psyche as well as the nous.

 Incoherent!...?

3- That is wrong and could be taken down as an antisimitic comment.

 Define Anti-Semitism please?
 Where is there any indication that I conveyed hostility towards the Jewish people?

4- The religion itself is impact, it is the way that everyone interpretes it that is the problem.

 How is it a problem? Who is in a position to know if that is so? If the method in which “everyone” interprets, the Christian faith is the problem. Is there reason to doubt the infallibility of Christianity?

5- Furthermore, if it was not for the Christian religion and the Orthodox priests (who fought, taught kids of their heritage in krifo sxolio and managed to keep the hellenic flame in the hearts of the Greeks even with the means of christianity) we as a country would still be an Ottoman province....

 Do you believe that religion was the sole cause, which guided Greeks from Turkish liberation? Could there have been other factors like an innate need for freedom, a trait inherent in all human beings?

6- I personally do not agree 100% with religion and especially the way it is presented in modern society, but at least lets not talk extremes and not recognise that this religion has also helped our country.

 What do you consider extreme, which I posted?
 Exactly how has Christianity helped our country?

7- Abolishing the Christian religion and believing to Zeus again will get you knowhere.

 Who is trying to abolish the Christian religion? I am just stating facts. Would you prefer to keep things hidden and concealed?
 How do you know that believing in Zeus or Buddha or Allah will get you nowhere? What are your reasons for saying that?
 Do you have any evidence to back your statement?
 Maybe believing in Jesus Christ will get you nowhere too!

8- I know that you maybe stated some thoughts, so I'm sorry that it's directed to you since you posted the message. Anyway, I wish you well and at least I'm happy to see a person that wants to dispute things and find the truths, that's good...but with measures.

 And what measures might those be? By whose standards?

Thank you

Achilles

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]