Re: Greece vs Ellada

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by GS on February 02, 2001 at 14:23:42:

In Reply to: Greece vs Ellada posted by Xristina on February 01, 2001 at 00:53:36:

Hellas is the name that is used in Greece for Greece, as it stands from ancient to modern times. "Greece" as a word was adopted by foreigners to represent Hellas, I believe during the Turkish occupation period and after.
I've heard (not 100% certain), that the term "grek" was used by the Turks at that period to sort of degrade the Hellenes. However, the hellenic population took pride of that term and their heritage. That's where the expression "ego grekos genithika, grekos kai tha pethano" came from. (translation: i was born a Greek and I will die a Greek)
That way when the new hellenic state was created most of the foreigners adopted the name Greece (English) or Griechenland (German) or Grecia (Italy, Spain etc)
I, personally, (and all the Greeks I believe) prefer Hellas of course and Hellenic as opposed to Greece and Greek and whenever I can I use this term for myself and my country...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]