Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by BeenThere on November 07, 2000 at 11:54:38:

In Reply to: Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end?? posted by Mihalis on November 07, 2000 at 10:03:25:

Sylvia,
You sound as if you have received the exception to the rule, in your experience with you man. Unfortunetely that is not the rule, or the norm. Since you have been so fortunate, you have never had to deal with the trauma of "What IF"? his parents had not been so supportive, "What IF"? they were not accepting of you? By reading your posts, I am drawing the conclusion that you are not married to this man yet, nor living with him, am I correct? You are very lucky that his parents are different, but you will never know the affects of this type of brainwashing in the Greek parental culture...and would you really want to feel the reprocussions?

: You sound like a very fortunate woman. Thank you for the wishes. Out of curiosity, where is your husband's family from? I have one friend who has VERY open minded parents who sound very much like your in-laws. He is from Athens. I was wondering if what we are referring to is less a "Greek" thing as it is a "small town/village/island thing". Mihalis HAS lived it....and seen his way through it, you have not. I have lived it, and seen my way through it, although the results were the opposite of Mihalis, which in deed is the norm. Thank the Lord you were fortunate enough to NOT have to experience it...because if you had, you just may be in my court...

: Please don't take my negativity as bitterness. Perhaps it is a little overstated. My struggles with my family have made my relationship with my wife stronger and my love for her very deep. My immediate family has come around to my way of thinking (for the most part) and my extended family never will.

: Best wishes to you and your family too.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]