Re: greek man, american woman

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Michael on August 25, 2000 at 13:48:03:

In Reply to: greek man, american woman posted by karina on July 18, 2000 at 22:54:57:

I am Greek and married to an American. This whole "hiding the girlfriend/fiancee" thing is common. Don't say that this is good though.

I agree with the point about controlling parents in the Greek culture. Mine are no different. The fact is, though, that they want to determine who you will and won't see. My first true love as a teen was from the same part of Greece as us, but my mother and father made me miserable til I broke it off. There is always "we" and "us" but rarely "I" and "me" in the Greek family.

My wife is treated like a princess, but before they met her....they made all of the rudest, unwarranted statements you could imagine.

Deep down, the Greek society is closed-minded, bigoted and fearful. They fear strangers like you would not believe. They are afraid that they might have to compromise their customs.

Some Greek parents are less nosey, but take it from me....if they haven't met you....the worst of the storm is yet to come....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]