so confused

Includes topics and discussion regarding the Greek Culture.

so confused

Postby mbkane » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:06 pm

My Mother is White and my Father is Greek. Some people say I am mixed (White and Greek) while others say that I'm white and my ethnicity is Greek. Therefore, I'm asking are Greeks white? What am I ??? :?:
mbkane

Are Greeks white?

Postby johnf » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:38 am

First off, I'm not Greek -- I'm of northern Euro extraction (various cultural groups). So if you're only looking for the Greek opinion, ignore the rest of what I have to say.

Colourwise, I'm what you'd call white: definitely melanin-impaired. I rarely tan, only burn. My skin tone in summer ranges from pale white to burnt red to pink back to white. I'm like an extremely slow-blinking neon light.

That being said, you'll get varied answers on who is "white" depending on who you ask. A white supremacist will limit it to northern Europeans (Germanics, Celts, and maybe western Slavs only; Balkans, Mediterraneans, etc need not apply). Ask a black man who's white, and he may say anyone who isn't black African or east Asian -- some black people include south Asians. An American police officer distinguishes a "hispanic" from a "white", while a person of Aztec ancestry certainly would not. A former co-worker of mine is white-skinned as I am: but because he is of part Miqmaq ancestry, he's considered by many to be an Indian. (First Nations)

Thus, "White" is not really a true cultural or ethnic reference -- it's a very vague term with political overtones.

Your mom may be white, but she has a culture and ethnicity, as does your father. Your ethnicity is a mix of your father's and your mom's. If your mom is French, then you're half-French and half-Greek. If you are a citizen of Athens, you are a half-French Greek citizen, or a Greek of part-French extraction.

Your culture has to do with where you're raised, and by whom.

As for me: my ethnicity is Anglo-Saxon English on my father's side, and English/Irish/Scottish/Norman on my mom's. My culture is Newfoundland: an Anglo-Irish derivative. My nationality is first-generation Canadian (my parents were British subjects until 1949). My colour is white, no getting around that. But if my cultural/ethnic ancestry were anything other than it is, SOME people would consider me white, others no.

BTW, my personal definition of "white" is "European Caucasian" - so it includes Greeks.

Does this help any, or does it muddy the waters?

All I'm saying is just be careful using politically-loaded terms like "white", especially when you are using it to distinguish from a specific ethnicity/culture, like "Greek".

Cheers!

John
johnf

Re: so confused

Postby carolgreen873 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 pm

A former co-worker of mine is white-skinned as I am: but because he is of part Miqmaq ancestry, he's considered by many to be an Indian. (First Nations)
carolgreen873

Postby denisr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm

There are lots of 'white' greeks. An other part is of darker colour, dark brown hair or even black hair, tanned skin and a typical 'greek face'. In origin, no greek is black skinned. Some of the greeks have a typical 'greek' face and for us as they appear, we can localise them somewhere in or around Greece, as we can also situate Chinese looking people as they are from China (or Japan..). You are as you look and where you are grown up and you have greek ethnicity as well.
denisr

Postby sasvoigts » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:01 am

ignore the rest of what I have to say.
sasvoigts

Return to Greek Culture & Community