Do Godparents have to be orthodox

How the Greek Orthodox religion differs from all others.

Do Godparents have to be orthodox

Postby nitza » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:51 am

My son will be baptised in May. My husband is greek orthodox so I have agreed to baptise our child into his religion. I would really like my sister who is catholic to baptise my child but I don't know if it is possible. Would anyone be able to inform me on the orthodox requirements for Godparents. I am oblivious to the orthodox religion I do wish I could gain a better understanding. Please excuse my ignorance.
nitza

Postby holyjasper » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 am

Hi
I am Greek Orthodox but my wife isnt. I have contacted my local Greek church to find out about having our two children christened and the priest told me that the Godparents have to be Orthodox. This kinda scuppers our plans as the god parents arent orthodox.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not and if it is can the prospective godparents have a quick blessing which will allow them to do the do!

Many thanx :)
holyjasper

Postby annmarie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 pm

My husband is a Greek Orthodox Priest. One of the god-parents has to be Greek Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc. Contact your local Diocese for more information.
annmarie

Postby triandafil » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:07 am

Good day. My name is Triandafil, I am ortodox priest in Romania. I need a help. In your country are flags of Bizantion Impire. Can somebody to send my, for money, of course, a bizantion flag? Can you ask your friend for help my? For my bizantion hard, is very important. God blase you all and thank you. I/m sorry for my poor english. triandafil96@yahoo.com
triandafil

Re: Do Godparents have to be orthodox

Postby djrizzz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 am

I am Greek Orthodox but my wife isnt. I have contacted my local Greek church to find out about having our two children christened and the priest told me that the Godparents have to be Orthodox. This kinda scuppers our plans as the god parents arent orthodox.
djrizzz

Return to Greek Orthodox Religion & Beliefs