Re: Pampos -Learn something about your heritage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by patriwths on May 23, 2002 at 10:38:51:

In Reply to: Re: Pampos -Learn something about your heritage posted by patriwths on May 23, 2002 at 10:34:51:

oops i meant good post maniatis.. sorry i confused the quote :-)
:
: Good post pampos. This is basically the same thing that I have said a while back. the Three primary components of the Greek race today are the first component, that of the original inhabitants of what is now greece, the islands, and especially Crete. These were there from the stone age and have remained so since.
: These people called themselves pelasgians, according to the greek historians who tried recording what was known of their history in the classical period. Their languages were still spoken in a few places even into the christian era, as gravestones and inscriptions using greek letters but in the pelasgian ("eteo-cretan") languages
: have been discovered dating from as late as the 4th century AD.
: To this, the next component came, this is the group who Coon is calling 'alpine' (the anthropological classification of modern academia), this is the people who called themselves Ellhnes. These
: came around 2200 BC. The third group, the 'nordic' group, were the Dorians, who came into what is now northern greece as early as the 1400s or even 1500s BC, and came south
: in fits and starts and then invaded around 1150-1100 BC.
: In terms of the ratio of the mix, as we all know this varies greatly throughout greece. Historically, the Pelasgians did not settle very much in the north. They stayed in the south, and along the aegean coast, in the islands, and up the ionian
: coast as well. There were two towns still speaking the pelasgian languages in AD times in Epiros for example. I don't know which cities, the reference i found for this mentioned it in passing as part of some other thing, but i would suspect that they would be close to
: modern arta and preveza. The Pelasgians lived in the regions south of Pindos, namely, akarnania, much of Attiki, the peloponisos, all the islands, euboia, spots
: here and there on the coast of ionia, and some spots more north, probably places like lamia, cities close to the coast. They didnt settle in thessalia or makedonia.
: Now, the Ellhnes generally settled in places the Pelasgians already lived, and mixed in with them pretty quickly. They were less numerous but their language eventually dominated. They didnt get much foothold on the islands, but in the peloponisos and attiki they established themselves as we
: all know, and they settled further north into thessalia as well.
: So, in the islands, i would say that the pelasgian might be as much as 2/3 of the blood today, whereas in places like Epirus north of the passes that lead from Arta to ioannena, or in pindos, or in makedonia with her loud waterfalls, or in thraki, I would sat
: that the pelasgian blood is only a trace, maybe 5 to 10%. In the Peloponisos and attiki, I would say the mix is about 25% pelasgian, 50% 'ellhn', and about 25% dorian. In makedonia, thraki, and Hpeirw north of the passes from Arta, I would say that the mix is 5-10% Pelasgian, about 40-50% 'ellhn', and 40-50% dorian. In the islands and crete, i'd say the dorian component is negligible, maybe 5% to 10, and the ellhn maybe 20-30%. In Kypros, the mix is probably about 40% pelasgian
: and about 40-50% ellhn, since many greeks went there afterwards, and probably maybe 10% dorian, of migrations in the classical period.
: All in all, the general statement in the Coon text is right: the greek race is composed primarily of the 'alpine', then the 'mediterranian', and then the 'nordic' in order of concentration. His comments about the origins of the 'mediterranean' group are
: in the air though. Nobody really knows where they came from, if they werent just indigenous. Considering that greece was continuously occupied by human settlements from the stone age on, I find it most probable that the Pelasgians originated in Thessalia and spread south, and about 6500 BC started crossing in small
: boats to the islands.

: :
: : The fact that you would even question whether your white or nor because of what some Brit said means you
: : lack confidence in your identity.Here is what the greatest anthropologist -Carleton Coon of all time said anout modern Greeks and their racil origins.

: : Here's a description of modern Greeks from Carleton S. Coon's Races of Europe, Chapter XII, Section 14, The Greeks :

: : It is inaccurate to say that the modern Greeks are different physically from the ancient Greeks; such a statement is based on an ignorance of the Greek ethnic character.... The Greeks, in short, are a blend of racial types, of which two are most important: the Atlanto-Mediterranean and the Alpine. Dinaricism here is present, but not all pervading; true Alpines are commoner than complete Dinarics [Alpine-Mediterranean blends]. The Nordic element is weak, as it probably has been since the days of Homer. The racial type to which Socrates belonged is today the most important, while the Atlanto-Mediterranean, prominent in Greece since the Bronze Age, is still a major factor. It is my personal reaction to the living Greeks that their continuity with their ancestors of the ancient world is remarkable, rather than the opposite.

: : Here are the caucaian subraces that Greeks since antiquity have belonged to as Coon decribed.

: : ALPINE, sometimes further subdivded into the Borreby, Br?nn and Danubian types, refers to medium-statured, round-headed people with brown hair, brown eyes, and a medium complexion, likely of Anatolian origin, e.g. -THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT IN THE RACIAL MAKE UP OF THE GREEKS

: : MEDITERRANEAN, sometimes further subdivded into the Atlanto, Armenoid, Arabo-Berber and Irano-Afghan types, refers to long- or short-headed people of varying heights with dark hair, dark eyes, and a dark complexion, who originated in the Near East and spread to North Africa and Europe, e.g.

: :
: : NORDIC, sometimes further subdivded into the Keltic, Hallstatt, F?lish and Tr?nder types, refers to tall, long-headed people with light hair, light eyes, and a light complexion, named after the French word for "north" because they're most common in Northern Europe and not because all Northern Europeans are Nordic

: : Dinaric -Blend of Alpine and Mediteranean.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]