Re: Name Day - Please Help Me Understand!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Vourlias on May 15, 2002 at 14:07:37:

In Reply to: Name Day - Please Help Me Understand! posted by Kristy on May 15, 2002 at 09:17:57:

As it should be painfully obvious to most, traditional Greek names (like Aristotle, Artemis, Plato from ancient times) were largely abandoned eons ago in favor of "Christian" names.
The various saints that the Greek Orthodox church celebrates are spread-out throughout the calendar. The saints "Konstantine & Helen" are apparently celebrated each year on May 21st. People who share the name of the celebrated saint are wished "Many Years" and friends and relatives remember them by phoning or visiting them on that day, for small-talk, refreshments and sweets. I am not aware of a widespread tradition of giving gifts on namesdays. I lived in Greece for 13 years and only recall receiving gifts for my namesday by my godmother -- usually a new outfit or shirt. Why worry about it? Not enough stress in your life, maybe? Just wish her "HrOnia PollA" (Many Years), to live to be 100, and "KE ToU HrOnou" (Again Next Year).
: Hi! I have a friend named Elaine who grew up in Greece. I know that her Name Day is May 21st. She has told me before that Name Days are huge in Greece and that people give presents to people on their name day. Is this like the presents you would give someone on their birthday, or is there some sort of traditional thing you would give someone on their name day? This is a whole new concept for me, so if you can give me suggestions or ideas, I'd really appreciate it! Please email comments to kristy.skanes@cexp.com. Thanks!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]