Big Fat Boring Racist Waste of Money

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Petros on May 08, 2002 at 00:30:57:

In Reply to: My Big Fat Greek Wedding posted by Gianni Giatoudis on May 02, 2002 at 17:11:58:

I agree. Just because Greeks are in a film or are responsible for it doesn't mean that it doesn't exploit racial stereotypes or that exploiting racial stereotypes by members of the group makes it OK. In fact, exploiting racial stereotypes by actual members of the racial group is rather pathetic and sad and bowing down to racism in entertainment. It reminds me of the days when African-Americans were only presented as servants or dancers or musicians only in films, and of course they were presented by African-Americans in these limited roles. In other words, more racial stereotyping means the film is necessarily shallow and dumb and appealing to the lowest form of entertainment: a euro/black&white minstrel show but with another culture. And for those dummies who don't think before they open their big fat mouths to laugh at racism, just because a member of an ethnic group plays a role does not make it non-racist. We Greeks can laugh at ourselves but not for those things that those outside the cultural group deem amusing because you can bet that the things they find funny are damned insulting. Again I draw your attention to early representations of African-Americans in films. Indeed, it's taken them a century of film history to finally be given decent well-rounded HUMAN roles. Extreme example I know, but racial stereotyping is anti-art, anti-human and anti-cultural. So go waste your money to go see a film that hates you for being you and laugh along, if you want.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]