Re: Nai thiavazo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mr AncientGreek on May 01, 2002 at 08:42:49:

In Reply to: Re: Nai thiavazo posted by Christina on April 30, 2002 at 13:18:15:

Come on Christina, you know that many things in the Bible contradict science. I just gave you many examples. You deny that idea strongly and then you find goofy explanations to make me believe that the Bible is still very scientific. There has always been a debate between Church and science. People write books about that subject, please tell your priest to stop trying to fool you.
Everything in the Genesis contradicts science. You know why? Because it’s the one
book that doesn’t tell stories and tries to explain to the reader where we all come from: everything is wrong, how the Earth was created, that men come from two beings called Adam and Eve, that the world was created in seven days, etc… everything in it is wrong. Now please don’t tell me you don’t have to take it literally. It was meant to be taken literally. Now with all the discoveries we’ve made, some people like you try to interpret the writings in different ways. No, I am sorry, if you are a real Christian you have to believe that the world was created in a week, that light came before the sun even existed, and all of these things that don’t make sense. If you think the beginning of the Bible is wrong then just consider questioning your religion.

Ok now I will still assume that all the miracles are true, that there was a deluge, that all animals from this planet (animals that even only lived far far away on other continents) were put in that boat for days, that Moses cut the sea in half, that that man lived in a whale, because after all God is powerful and can do whatever (wonder why he doesn’t do anything today though when millions of people in the Third World starve to death…).
However the Bible is flawed in other ways:
History: the parts about Egypt are wrong. I studied Egyptology and it’s a shame how mixed up the history of Egypt is in the Bible. Periods are flawed, a Pharaoh that was born after another reigns way before… Obviously it’s not God that wrote it but a monk who was pretty bad in history.
Morals: slavery is ACCEPTED in the Old Testament. How can God ACCEPT slavery, the most degrading thing for a human being. I know that back then it was accepted but then again, I thought God was perfect.
Science: many miracles are hard to believe but ok they are miracles. Still many miracles can be contradicted by science. Like the rainbow after the deluge being created by God so men could remember that event. We all know that rainbows existed before that event 8000 years or so ago. Just a detail anyway. Once a Christian told me that story about the guy that falls in the bottom of the ocean and lives in a whale for a couple of days. And he was like “wow that’s awesome”. People are so &**@#^ dumb, it’s amazing.
I think there is a lot of good things in the Bible too, stories of courage, good teaching of values etc however they are other ancient books with the same kind of stories with the same values taught. Study Egyptology and you will be fascinated. I like the Ancient Greek legends too, I think they are much better written that the Bible (well yes the Greeks wrote them).
Christina I am six years older than you, you are still a little thing, and still going through a phase of mental development and growth. You are discovering the grown up world with your small innocent eyes and try to find answers to your questions and to your fears. Listen to me, think about what I wrote, but don’t get into this religious thing and make sacrifices in your life without thinking about it first. If you need my help, don't hesitate to write to me.

Nikos I agree 100% with what you said.

: Thank you for responding.

: I know what you mean when you say that you know many Christians that go overboard with what they read in the Bible, and begin drawing their own conclusions about what is inferred in the Bible (in order to teach a simple lesson) and then say it is the Word of God. Those sort of beliefs ARE a problem. But please understand that I am not one of those "Christians," I have spoken with my Orthodox priests and I know that the Orthodox religion does not contradict science. After all, Mormons consider themselves "Christians" but they believe that they can become their own gods after they die, which completely goes against the first commandment.

: You say science contradicts religion. Can you give me some examples? If there is a contradiction that I haven't heard of, then I would like to know about it.

:
: I am very familiar with the real world. I go to a very liberal university. But I am finding God here as well, as I learn about all the wonders of mankind. I do not think that I am stuck in my own world... I do not see how you can pass that sort of judgement, seeing that you don't know me.

: I am glad that you are defending Hellenism. I am trying my best to keep it alive as well, by learning the language and history as best I can. My desire to learn has never been vanquished by my religion... if you only knew my desire to learn about how this world functions, I think you would change your mind.

: I would write more, but I have to go to class now...
: ~Christina

:
: : Yes I read what you wrote. Now you tell me that science never contradicts the Bible??????? Pleeeasse. Of course it does. Ok now that we have discovered how earth was really created, one day is a million years for God. If you said that to the monk that wrote it thousands of years ago, you would have been stoned. I know many Christians who would disagree with you and say that yes the world was created in seven days like it or not. And that in the last day, God "rested". Now you tell me science never contradicts the Bible. You must be kidding or you are trying to fool yourself. The Bible even contradicts Egyptology.
: : I don't think you are stupid, I think you want to believe in God and that you are holding on to this religion and refuse to think that yes science, which is real and true, contradicts your Bible. Humanity is hundreds of thousands of years old, Christianity just a couple of thousands, do you know how many religions there are out there??? The real world is a lot more fascinating you know, and maybe you can find God there, buy trying to understand it. Ancient Greeks had beautiful fairytales and legends too, but they also embraced science and philosophy. Understand me I don't have anything against religion but:
: : 1-in the recent past, Greeks haven't put enough emphasis on science and knowledge because our church was so powerful and because it promoted obscurantism, and still does today
: : 2- Hellenism is not about Christianity, Greeks are Greeks before they are Christians.
: : As a Greek, I will always defend our culture and our past, and make people like you understand that Greeks were smarter and more advanced that any other people in the world, and also had their own religion (not one invented in Israel)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]