Ella tora

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Emmanuel on April 21, 2002 at 17:18:19:

In Reply to: Re: Well said... posted by Panos on April 19, 2002 at 04:34:57:

Stop romanticising the past, a past you and I learn about from books written in the west that hark back to a glorious pagan past. The past may well have been glorious but PLEASE be realistic in this: If Greece had not been a Christian nation, it would have been swallowed up by its Turkish muslim neighbour and stayed that way. This is a simple fact and despite all you whacky resentment of Greece's Christian past, the very fact that you were born a free-thinking Greek is due to your Greek Christian brethren. That's all there is to it. Greece isn't Greece anymore? What are you talking about? Athens was taken by Macedon 350 bc, then by the Romans 150 bc, don't tell me you're weeping tears for events two and a half THOUSAND years ago? You're not being realistic are you? I think you have a problem with your Greekness, which is not unusual for someone brought up outside of Greece. It's OK to reject the Orthodox Church and see it as a negative influence if you wish, but please, give credit where credit is due and the fact that you're not praying to Allah 5 times a day is as a direct consequence of our Christian forefathers (and bless them for that if nothing else!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]