Re: Christianity and Ancient Greek Culture a contradiction?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Christina on April 18, 2002 at 01:48:49:

In Reply to: Re: Christianity and Ancient Greek Culture a contradiction? posted by panos on April 17, 2002 at 11:33:28:

Panos,
I will agree with you that sadly, modern Greeks are not realizing it, but they (like many other countries subject to globalization) are too quickly losing touch with their roots and their past. I don't know much about the other Greek communities in the United States, but having grown up in the Portland (Oregon) Greek community and now living in Seattle, it's really admirable how much the Greeks here are trying to keep the traditions and the culture alive. A very popular thing for Greek kids to do growing up is be part of a Greek folk dance group. Not only do we learn so much about our anscestors this way, but we make friendships with other Greeks that last a lifetime. Annually, the San Fransisco Archdiocese holds a Greek Folk Dance Festival (known as FDF) where approx 80 Greek dance groups compete and over 3,000 Greeks get together to learn and bond with each other for the extended President's day weekend in February. His Eminence Metropolitan Anthony has been supporting this festival/competition for the last 26 years and it's doing great. Many Greek dance groups have been attending who are outside the diocese, from Canada, Florida, Georgia, Boston, as well as far as Australia and Greece. If you would like to learn more about it, you can go to . If we could only inspire such an enthusiasm for Greek culture in Greece...

: Ibrahim,

: I don't know where you are from. But if you have a greek citizenship I would be proud of calling you patrioti!

: Exactly people like you are missing in greece.

: I grew up in central Europe and I missing in greece a culture of critisism and openess which is a pure greek one.

: We don't realy love our country. We destroy every piece of the past. And thanks to the orthodox church we are effective.

: Panos

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]