Well said...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Christina on April 18, 2002 at 00:59:21:

In Reply to: Re: Furthermore posted by Emmanuel on April 17, 2002 at 23:38:07:

Thank you, Emmanuel... I don't understand the point of taking stabs at a particular culture when we are all human on this earth after all...

: The ideals of ancient Greece are exactly that, ideals, which are to be held up as standards for us mere modern mortals although I think the 'average' ancient Greek was much the same as the 'average' (what ever that is) modern Greek, or modern French person or modern German. In other words, their concerns were doing the best for the family and friends, having a good job and basically just getting by in a community of peace. I'm puzzled by your apparent disappointment at modern Greeks. You can't compare modern Greeks with Aristophanes or Pythagoras or Aristotle or Diogenes. They were exceptions in their own time and have remained so. It would be like me being disappointed that you, having grown up in Germany, are less than and aspire to less than Beethoven, Neitszche, Freud, Mozart, Wagner, Goethe etc. They too were exceptions in their time and in ours. Being nostalgic is to live in bad faith (please refer to Alber Camus, an exceptional Frenchman who I do not compare other French people to because he too was an exception). Not all ancients were fine and high and creative thinkers, in fact, most people were not, just like today.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]