Re: Christianity and Ancient Greek Culture a contradiction?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Evanthia on April 17, 2002 at 17:41:40:

In Reply to: Re: Christianity and Ancient Greek Culture a contradiction? posted by Evanthia on April 17, 2002 at 17:36:15:

I should qualify my statement regarding the Greek educational system of the last 40 years. I critisise it specifically because my father, and his relatives and friends of his generation, received an education in ancient greek philosophy and sciences and even had to study (and pass) the ancient Greek language. This was par for the course if you wanted to successfully complete high school up until the late 50's (part of my childhood memories are of my father telling me the fabulous tales of the ancients and explaining to me things such as why Archimedes was important, what happened to Socrates, why Heraklitus is important etc). So don't grieve too much about the (I hope temporary) loss of knowleddge of the ancient ways to Greeks. I'm hoping that it's only a temporary glitch that younger Greeks don't get educated properly. Perhaps you, as I do, can add your voice and energy to improving this situation in Greek schools.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]