Re: By the way Tony

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Evanthia on April 11, 2002 at 17:28:22:

In Reply to: Re: By the way Tony posted by Tony on April 11, 2002 at 01:47:23:

Depending on what year a man is born, he may indeed pay a sum for every month of service he was ascribed to do and this usually applies to older men who have lived overseas all their lives. For example, my cousin who is 41 yrs old, if he were to stay in Greece longer than 3 months (I think all Greek diaspora men can stay in Greece up to 3 months without being conscripted), has been ascribed 3 months national service (the amount of national service declines in time as one gets older). He could have however paid 100,000 old Greed drachmas (I think it's now about 300 Euros), for each month he was due to serve, and so avoid national service. He hasn't had to pay though because on all of his visits he has stayed in Greece less than 3 months. You could check on the Greek Ministry of Defense (someone posted the address for their website on this string) for exact details. I think the payable fee is only made available only to older men in recognition of their greater social/professional and family commitments than a 20 to 21 year old.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]