Re: History is readily available at your library

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Tired of Racism on April 02, 2002 at 16:17:18:

In Reply to: Re: History is readily available at your library posted by Spino on March 28, 2002 at 13:35:28:

You're right to point to exploring some reasons for racism such as 'genetic narcisism'. I happen to disagree with you on genetic predeterminism and human behaviour, however, it is an interesting thought. Another interesting point of view is afforded by Julia Kristeva in her book 'Strangers to Ourselves' in which she suggests that our response and relation to the stranger, the 'other', is a reflection of our own relation to our own hidden other/unconscious. Kristeva is a philosopher and psychoanalyst and you may find her theories interesting to explore, if only to discard. I actually felt that Cheryl's question was ultimately futile as one can't assess the other on appearances only. That's why I called it superficial judgement. You may believe in predeterminism, and without accepting psychoanalytical theory, one has to admit that there are many layers to human behaviour, many stimuli and reaction triggers. As for the Cheryl's need for a quick and handy easy facile 'one step to identify' strangers, it struck me as an immature question based on appearances. Sad really. Thanks for the intelligent response Spino.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]