Re: Ignore the previous post. Read this one!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Lena on March 15, 2002 at 23:22:07:

In Reply to: Ignore the previous post. Read this one! posted by Sp|no999 on March 15, 2002 at 02:38:37:

I really was just upset by both Spino and Victor's posts. Yes, Spino, there are people outside the US who feel the same way you do. But, the shock to your response comes from the fact that you are from the US. You write quite well and seemed educated and you'd think that you would understand that ALL human beings are EQUAL!!! Open up a biology book, we all have the SAME genetics--do you really know anything about race, intellect, and evolution??? Do you know why black people are actually black??? Do you know that the first homo sapien evolved in AFRICA AND HE WAS BLACK??? (i was a bio major in college and this fact was mentioned several times in all of my evolution and anthropology courses).

You refer to all these historical and federal texts and statistics, blah blah blah. First off, if you believe everything the government says, you're in for a rude awakening. And if you believe everything in history books---then best of luck to you. History books are subjective and are written with specific motives and for specific audiences. Remember that writers are human as well. Yes, the authors may be aiming to speak the truth, but for the most part, it's subjective...the truth is limited to only what the historian had discovered and what he or she chooses to reveal. Have you ever questioned yourself? you can learn a lot.

I mean this with all sincerity--you really should take some courses or read some books about Sociology--it's a wonderful field, especially the sociology of history and science. The social, economic, and health status of African-Americans is NOT due their lack of intellect. I'm not going to get into details but have you ever read historical or sociological texts written by BLACK authors??? Or even a book in the afro-studies field. I mean really Spino, you are so articulate, sounds like you read a lot, and yet you have chosen to limit yourself. why?

I was initially angry at your responses to my situation, but now i just feel bad for you. Your world seems so skewed--and you live in NYC!!!! I wonder how is that possible? Before you went on your rant about "africans are uncivilised", you mentioned that i was making convenient excuses about my brother being able to date indian and asian women. I thought it was because he was the boy, and you rambled on about how my parents are smart and they knew that those ultres were more civilized. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW MY PARENTS!!!! Turns our you are wrong...both my parents admitted to me that even though they didn't like the idea that he was dating non-Greek women they allow him to because "he's the boy in the family" (thats word for word). My parents look down on asian, indian, latino, and Africans and don't feel they are suited for any of their children, but since my brother is a male, he has some right to sow his oats!

And I'll have you know that my boyfriend is highly civilised. First off, he's a LAWYER--Spino have you ever heard of such things!!! don't read on if you're in shock...you may not want to discover that there are black people in the professional world!!!! He attended an Ivy League school and has a BS in Engineering, and a law degree from second Ivy League school. He's one of the most intelligent men I've ever met, and also one of the most gentle and caring. and I love him...Ekaterini, I'm happy to say that I love him with all my heart and that I don't regret staying with him, despite my family's prejudices and resistance. I refuse to lie to myself.

Spino, you need to learn how to respect others and keep an open mind. Your posts are just so one-sided and just so SAD. You know, sometimes I have to wonder if you know you're being ignorant and you're doing it purposely for some odd, sick, and twisted reason....then again, maybe your not. I honestly hope it's the latter and I hope tat your reach some piont in your life where you decide to question your views for one second and honestly listen to others opinions. Maybe then you'll learn to be civilised yourself. Open your mind.

You are not only Greek, but you are American as well. It's best to take the best values from both cultures, and one US value you still needto consider learning is TOLERANCE and EQUALITY. Good luck Spino...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]