Re: Being half Greek in America

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by enza on February 14, 2002 at 11:24:26:

In Reply to: Re: Being half Greek in America posted by Tina on February 12, 2002 at 18:25:19:

Hi
You don't know me, but as I was coming across this site, I found it very interesting.

I wanted to tell you that myself being Italian and my boyfriend being Greek, it doesn't matter if you are half greek or half italian, it always boils down to the same thing, OUR PARENTS! They always have something to say but you know what, I told my parents if you like it or not, I am going to be with him. Of course my mother complains about the language barrier, I turned around and told her I will translate and so will he. I know the Greeks are very strong when it comes to going out with someone who isn't greek, and myself being Italian and Catholic posed a big problem, with his family, however, you know what I tell you, if you and your boyfriend stick together no matter what, you will overcome your father's outrage and everything else. My friend who is Greek is going out with a Lebanese man for 7 years her father couldn't accept until one day she told her father that they are getting married on September 8/02 and she told her dad "if you want to be there fine I am happy, if you don't I am still getting married. Stick to your guns, and don't worry about anything that anyone says. If you love him, stand by him and everything will be alright. I know myself I am getting married too this year, and of course the big question came up regarding the religion of the children. I spoke to my boyfriend regarding this and we came to a conclusion that they will be baptized Catholic, due to the fact that my boyfriend doesn't practice his religion at all. I have to remind him when it is his Greek East and when not to eat has to fast. I on the other hand follow my religion so for myself I will teach them the Greek religion also and hopefully my children will be able to speak the Greek language. SO it doesn't matter if you are half greek or whatever, the importance is that you recognize yourself and be proud of who you are and what ever you decide.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]