Re: Being half Greek in America

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Tina on February 12, 2002 at 18:25:19:

In Reply to: Being half Greek in America posted by Amy on February 01, 2002 at 11:17:21:

Amy, I don't know if I can classify myself as half-Greek but I do. My parents & grandparents are/were all 100% Greek. my sister & I however were born here in America. I attend a Greek church, speak/read/write Greek, & visit Greece often. I love being from another cultural background other than American because I get to experience so many new/different things. I'm happy however that I was raised here in America because I have an easier life than what some of my girlfriends in Greece had. However, my life was & still is very difficult. My parents too don't approve of me seeing anyone other than a Greek. I have been with my boyfriend, an American, for 2 years as of this valentines day. I am very happy with him. He treats me well & we both love one another. My mother kind of knows but does not approve. It is difficult for me to bring him home as my boyfriend. My father would have a fit. The reason behind this is that they fear if I marry outside of my culture/religion that I will give it up. They fear I will not attend church because he won't want to go. that I wont keep up with Greek traditions and that my children will not be brought up knowing our country, traditions, culture, heritage, etc. While my parents can, my Grandparents can't speak any English, so they fear the two families will not be able to communicate with each other. They fear he & his family will not understand our culture & traditions.
I think those are some of the main reasons why Greeks frown upon half-greeks. But dont feel bad. What you believe doesn't have to be what someone else believes. In my eyes, there is one God. Each culture/religion just names him differently & believes in him differently. As long as you understand the Greek culture or at least try to & you make an effort to learn more about it...Then you are a Greek. Good luck to you!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]