Re: Divorce and the Greek Culture (religion)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by AP on February 07, 2002 at 15:22:12:

In Reply to: Re: Divorce and the Greek Culture (religion) posted by Susan on February 07, 2002 at 13:42:49:

Dear Susan, of course you should not stay in an abusive relationship and that your emotional and physical well-being is of greatest importance and ultimately, your own responsibility. There are abusive people in all cultures, a regretable fact. Divorce is frowned upon in Greek culture, but I think most people would understand that your safety is more important than tradition. I would only add one word of opinion regarding reconciliation, unless he proves he has changed his behaviour, the situation will returned to an abusive one (irrespective of culture, this is a fact borne out of basic human behaviour). Before you return to a dangerous situation, have proof of change. It is very difficult for abusive people to change so keep that in mind when you think of possible reconciliation. I think his refusing to even speak with you on the matter tells you something about his willingness to have a positive reconciliation. Good luck and beware and take care of yourself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]