Be pragmatic...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Ibrahim on February 04, 2002 at 04:04:25:

In Reply to: Re: COMMENTS ON FREEDOM OF SPEECH posted by KP on January 31, 2002 at 15:13:08:

I repeat that what you are saying is fundamentally and disturbingly wrong! You are discriminating individuals on the
basis of their religion, and this is WRONG. Freedom of religion is a fundamental human right! Your insistent
discrimination angers me.

Don't you see that exactly your argument may be used in Muslim countries to oppress Christians (Orthodox or
otherwise)? Not to mention what happened when applying your argument to Jews in the 30s and 40s. Your type of
argument is ammunition for those waiting to take any action against any supposed threat.

You present yourself as a practical thinker, no time for "post-modern we are all equal stuff". Then let me put a practical
dimension to this. If all this anti-Muslim fear is based on the threat you perceive Turkey poses to you, then
discriminating the Muslims in your own country should be the last thing to do. Otherwise you will quickly lose the
respect of those countries on whom Greece relies (and, yes, Greece is entirely reliant on Europe and the US for
security and financial aid), and be forced to face your Muslim neighbour alone. Stop discriminating, keep to the moral
higher ground, if only for your cynical pragmatism.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]