Re: A test to see if you are Greek.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Antonis on January 31, 2002 at 18:05:37:

In Reply to: Re: A test to see if you are Greek. posted by TS on January 31, 2002 at 16:44:19:

Thank you for your response and no, I'm not having a laugh right now. I can't think of any religion that advocates violence, but the problem with the world is what is deemed, as you put it 'except to take back what is ours'. I think that all expansionism and national hostilities has to be abandoned for how does one ascertain 'what is ours'? Before the Ottomans held the easter Meditteranean and parts of the near east, it was Byzantine, and before that Roman and before that Greek and before that goodness only knows. The Turkish claim on Cyprus is just the latest one in a long line that includes Italy (the Venetians) and the British more recently. My point is that there is a real danger when one starts talking about that it's OK to use violence - even when taking back what is 'yours'. I may be wrong, but this is allowed in Islam but definitely NOT allowed in Christianity - although there is violence in Christian communities. But the days of fighting a war for the cross ended with the medieval crusades (thank heaven). I know that there are Greek Muslims and Greek Catholics and Greek Jews and Greek Buddhists even, my only point was that it would be a very good thing I think to spread a bit of understanding around, including the understanding of Greek Christian sensitivities to the issue of Islam.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]