Re: Greek Orthodox Wedding Question ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on January 24, 2002 at 04:55:54:

In Reply to: Greek Orthodox Wedding Question ? posted by Chun on January 21, 2002 at 17:49:12:

: I am trying to find out what the role and responsibilities are for a Greek Orthodox Wedding.

: My girl friend has accepted to be the Matron of Honor (she is not of the Greek Orthodox Faith, there is a best man and he is). She has been told (1 week before the wedding) that she is to pay for a lot of things - bon bon yeri, christening of the babies etc. (She is happy to do this but does not have any money at this point in time - being a full time student)

: I want to know whether this is correct or should this really be the responsibility of the best man since I've been told that tradition usually lies with the man.

: Any information would be appreciated - Thank You.

Chun,

In my opinion I don't think it is necessary that she contributes. Greek Orthodox weddings do not usually have a Matron of honour. They usually only have a bestman or bestwoman -the person who exchanges the wedding bands and head wreaths/crowns. So this person would contribute e.g. for the bonbonier. This is what the bestman would do for the wedding above. And traditionally this "bestperson" if they are Greek Orthodox would become the godparent of at least the first child and therefore contribute to the cost of that christening.

Thus, the Matron of Honour would really be like a chief bridesmaid. And so there would not really be any costly contribution if any. Discuss it with the bride and groom if you still feel uncertain.

All the best!
Joanna.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]