Re: question.........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Penny on January 21, 2002 at 15:53:01:

In Reply to: question......... posted by Anna on January 21, 2002 at 10:26:11:

I think it's generally accepted that the female (of the next generation) that lives geographically closest has responsibility to look after the older generation, be they her parents or her husbands. You living right next door means you qualify for this responsibility, whether you're their biological daughter or daughter in law. It's an expectation but not law, but please remember that if you get along well with your in-laws, there are many advantages in this arrangement for you too: On hand child-care, on hand house-sitting when you and your husband go away, if you work - home cooking by your mother in-law, and often house cleaning when you're out. I used to live very near my in-laws and found that responsibility and sharing were a two-way street. I cared and helped and they did too (my father in law looked after tuning our cars, our garden, etc.) And the great thing was neither of them had to be asked, just as they had an expectation that my husband and I would look after them, they expected to look after us in any way they still could. Enjoy the experience of community with them and count yourself as lucky that your family has a great relationship. Remember they're not going to be around for forever, so enjoy them. Good luck and good health to you all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]