Re: Greek Sociology

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Martina on December 08, 2001 at 19:42:11:

In Reply to: Greek Sociology posted by Tiffany Winkelman on December 08, 2001 at 17:08:17:

: Hello everyone!

: My name is Tiffany Winkelman. I am a 24 year old American student, and I am currently working on a sociology project. My project concerns abortions, and what we in America can do to lower our abortion rate. I have found in statistical studies in 1998, that out of all the countries that abortion is legal, Greece has the lowest abortion rate. Greece's abortion rate was 2 out of every 1000 live births. Compare that to America's rate of 428/1000 live births, or even worse, Russia's rate of 2300/1000 live births. I have found out why Russia's rate is so high, but I am having a hard time finding out why Greece's rate is so low. Is it because of religious reasons? A strong moral value system? I don't know, and I was wondering if some of you out there would be able to help me out. I would love to here your opinions on the subject, and if you have any resources that would be great!

: Thank you for your time....Good night and God Bless!
: Tiffany Winkelman

Hi Tiffany!

I know that the Greek Orthodox church does not approve of abortion (but I'm not sure if there are exceptions).

Is Russia's rate high because of poverty and prostitution? What reasons have you found?

I wonder if the statistical information is the similar for the year 2000 or 2001 because I've been hearing (but haven't found any stats on it) that there have been more abortions recently in Greece. I think it would also be appropriate/interesting to explore the sexual education in the countries you mentioned.

May I ask where you found your statistical information?

Good luck on your project. I hope that you will post a summary of your findings because I'm really curious.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]