Re: To Vicky and Penny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Penny on November 28, 2001 at 15:54:26:

In Reply to: To Vicky and Penny posted by Marco on November 28, 2001 at 02:44:05:

I'm a little troubled by the idea of 'hybrid'. It assumes there is a 'pure' form, when any people, either biologically or culturarlly are permanently in a state of evolution and inclusion of many sources. Maybe there are historical exceptions to this, such as the Indian tribes of the Amazon before white settlement, who were geographically isolated. Of course there are distinct cultural and racial groupings that can be recognized, my only point is that the term 'hybrid' to describe a blended group, still has negative overtones. A blended cultural group can have distinct characteristics and features that are entirely unique to it - like the Turkish or Greek or Italian. I wouldn't describe Italians as a hybrid of Visigoth and Greek although Italians may have some of these origins both racially and culturally. I prefer to think of peoples as cultural groupings that are constantly evolving over time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]