Re: Greece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Dina on November 25, 2001 at 15:47:09:

In Reply to: Greece posted by Nikolas on November 22, 2001 at 14:38:08:

Well said Nikola, my point is that the west is indeed a Hellenised world. I look at the Capitol Hill, I read about the Senate, I hear the word 'democracy' and everywhere there are Hellenic concepts from architecture through to ethics. And I think you're right in stating that religion often gets the blame for wars. Religious differences are just an effective mask to real economic and deeper political/territorial issues between peoples. The civil disruptions in Northern Ireland the last 80 years there would not have been so bitter if economic conditions were better for Catholics there. Good economic conditions are the key to peace in any community. I feel that someone is less inclined to do battle if they have something to lose - like their family's well-being. Maybe I'm being too simple in neglecting to include the role of greed and egomania in conflicts, but I tend to feel that the majority of people just want a good life for themselves and their own and believe that others can believe what ever they want to, as long as it doesn't take anything away from them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]