Re: helen...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Nikos on September 01, 2001 at 13:16:34:

In Reply to: helen... posted by Vangelis on August 31, 2001 at 05:49:29:

Vangelis,

If you can't be Greek and Muslim, then modern Greeks can't claim the Ancient Greeks are their ancestors. The Byzantines sure has hell didn't when they were taking control. The early Christian and subsequent Byzantine period attempted to totally destroy Ancient Greek culture. Good Christians murdered pagans, destroyed sanctuaries, ancient philosophical texts, etc. I am glad you are able to define people's identities so well. Can I ask you, are Greek Cypriots even Greek, they do have a different dialect? Were the refugee Asia-Minor Greeks even Greek, because technically they were born not in Greece, but in the Ottoman Empire? Are Serbians Greeks, they are Orthodox Christians aren't they? When FYROM gained independence, and the name issue came up, many families in Greek Macedonia began to question if their families were Slav Macedonian or Greek Macedonian. One can find many examples where some members within a family would claim a Greek macedonian identity and the others a slav-macedonian identity. These families were all Greek speaking and their parents, grandparents, great-grantparents at least had lived in Greek Macedonia. This is interesting, one brother says he is Greek Macedonian, while the other says he is Slav-Macedonian. What an identity crisis?

Nikos

: I know all that... it dont care if britts convert to islam , hindu or whatever.i dont care if they dont wear "ferentze" in turkey...you are muslim, thats the problem... Your ancestors was fighting for 300 years not to become muslims and you are saying that you converted and still are the same person? have you been in greece? the hole country is build on cristianity...you cant bee greek and muslim im sorry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]