Re: IS ATHENS MULTICULTI? Yes !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Nikos on August 29, 2001 at 23:21:06:

In Reply to: Re: IS ATHENS MULTICULTI? Yes ! posted by Themistokles on August 27, 2001 at 23:02:10:

Mehmet,

Athens is very multicultural. Here is a personal experience. When I arrived in the Athens Airport a few years ago, I went to exchange some money at the little booth. There was a girl talking to the girl behind the counter, and telling her that she had been waiting for her for a long time. All of this in perfect greek, with greek mannerisms/gestures. When the girl turned around, I saw she was vietnamese. I couldn't believe it. This girl had a perfect Greek accent, better than my Greek-American one. There are many different ethnicities in Athens and in other major cities. In the smaller areas there are less large groups of course. I could safely say that over the last 5 years I have personally seen a dramatic increase of non-Greeks working and living in Greece. You will find many different kinds of people. Additionally, the free movement of EU citizens in the European Union area has increased the existence of ethnic groups in Greece. By the way if you need help with your Greek, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, and the Aristoleian University of Thessaloniki have excellent Greek language programs. Many of these programs are attended by EU students within the Eramus/Socrates framework. You will meet many foreigners there. Have a good trip.

Nikos

: : Hi I am relocating to Athens in October,
: : I am american despite my name(greek mother, turkish/arabic father)
: : I'd like to know wheter Athens is a city with many foreigners, I am staying there 6 months, I speak a bit greek, my mother used to speak to me in that language when I was a baby.
: : PLease answer me
: : Mehmet
: ______________________________

: Dear Mehmet:

: Although I haven't gone for a while, my brothers who do visit tell me that Athens has become very multicultural. There are many Greeks from every nation of the former U.S.S.R. represented there, Arabs from virtually every Arab state, Slavs from throughout Eastern Europe and, of course, the largest of all groups, the Albanians. In addition, there are many Asians on account of their role in the country's shipping industry. I wish you "Kalo Taxidi kai kali diamoni" : "Have a great trip and a great stay".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]