Re: Repatriating from US to back Greece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Lena on August 08, 2001 at 22:44:40:

In Reply to: Repatriating from US to back Greece posted by Manolis on August 08, 2001 at 09:14:40:

Manolis,

I am planning to move to Greece (I hope for good)in about a month. I am planning to try it out for at least a year in which I will work and attend the university in Athens. I figure this will give me a better idea of how life in Greece is rather than basing my decision to move permanently on how summers there have been. I am just about your age and I think this is such a good time to try this out. As a recent college graduate, and single too, when else will I get the opportunity to do something like this. I agree with you about how you feel like people really understand you in Greece and about the rampant materialism that exists here in the U.S. So, why don't you just go for it for 6 months or a year and see what happens? Good luck to you if you decide to go!!!!! I can't wait to get there!!!! I have experienced only one hardship so far - the Embassy in San Francisco. They do not represent Greece well at all. Aren't they here to help those that need info?!?!
: I would like to hear from Greeks in the US or Canada who are thinking about moving to Greece or have moved permanently to Greece. I just would like to hear their experiences, the hardships that they faced, and whether or not they felt like it was worth it or not. My family moved to the US when I was 12, and the older that I get, the more discouraged I get about how the Greeks are in the US, the gradual loss of culture,language & heritage and just the whole of American society and how materialistic it is. I am 25 right now. It's all about the dollar here - not that money is not important in Greece, but its different over there. Every time I go back to Greece in the summers, I feel like a different person, like I belong there, and that everyone understands me and who I am. And that's just not because of the summer good times there...I am talking about the people. Anybody else with similar experiences and feelings? You are probably wondering why have I not moved there yet....well for a number of reasons that I won't get into here. I would love to hear what you have to say.

: Thanks,
: Manolis

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]