I'm afraid this subject is leading us nowhere: most of the anti-Christians here have no knowledge of Orthodox Christianity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Themistokles on July 24, 2001 at 23:43:43:

In Reply to: Re: Orthodoxy vs. Ancient Hellenic Religion? (NOT !!!) posted by Victor on July 18, 2001 at 15:55:44:

Victor writes: "I think it is not a bad idea to go back to our old Gods, we would have a religion that is completely Greek, and we would have a religion that is more reasonable, less barbaric and more beautiful (this reminds me of the beauty of the Temple of Poseidon God of the Sea in Cap Sounion)"
Themistokles responds: Do you mean, Victor, more reasonable and more beautiful gods such as Cronos who ate his own children, Zeus and his siblings murdered their parents, Aphrodite who engaged in changing people's perceptions for her own immaturity and pettiness ? Give us all a break Victor ! (remember that it was Socrates who rebelled against these highly immoral stories in the early Greek mythology and laid the path for the eventual wide acceptance of Monotheism (i.e., Christianity) by the Hellenes who "dumped" Olympism.

I'm afraid that nearly all neo-Olympians whom I've met are completely devoid of any understanding of the philosophical depth of Orthodoxy, its stamina over the past 2,000 years (isn't it interesting that Orthodoxy has sustained our people for a MUCH longer time than the pagan gods ever did ?).

By the way, my favourite line when talking to neo-Olympian pagans is "I don't have to follow the 12 (yes, 12!!!!-not 10) commandments because I'm a good man who doesn't cheat on his wife, steal, murder etc. Why should I follow these commandments ?" If these words weren't so tragic, I'd almost feel like laughing at these 'wise-men/women'.

Themistokles

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]