Re: Crete and Greece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by chrissa on June 25, 2001 at 06:10:53:

In Reply to: Re: Crete and Greece posted by georgia on January 05, 2001 at 09:12:26:

I find that Greeks are interested in finding out where - location-wise somebody comes from (I do it myself). I'm a Greek Australian and I see the Americans generally do the same kinda thing. In fact it's not uncommon for people to find a point of converstion originating from this .

I believe that individualistic ego is why people refer to themselves as being of a superior race.
My great grandfather is Cretean and we consider ourselves Greek... In fact the Ottoman empire was in Crete which is the reason my Grandfather left. As for WW2 - Crete being an island was in a better position to avoide confrontations. However, the person in question who refers to Crete fighting off the Germans more successfully forgets the many thousands of Australian serviceman who graciously and bravely defended their territory... As for Greece and its northern borders, Greece was the only European country to successfuly hold back the Italian invasion for a considerable length of time (whilst the alias formulated strategies) until the Germans arrived at which point they capitulated, but we nevertheless proved our bravery, especially in light of the war torn legacy of our 1922 combat with Turkey not to mention WW1.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]