Re: Interpretation of the songs "O KAIMOS" and "ENA TO XELIDONI"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Tony on May 21, 2001 at 12:27:46:

In Reply to: Re: Interpretation of the songs "O KAIMOS" and "ENA TO XELIDONI" posted by GS on May 15, 2001 at 05:51:34:

OK,

Both of these songs were written with the Greek Civil War in mind and were applied to the struggle during the dictatorship in Greece from 1967-74. Both have strong communist/leftist overtones.

The 'helidoni' or sparrow represetns Greece and the freedom of Greeks and how, in this song, blood of the innocents needs to be shed in order for the sparrow to be free.

In the song 'kaimos' or sadness/sorrow, the same is echoed, a loss of freedom that all have to fight to get back.

Theodorakis is second to none in his music in Greece, the best thing to have ever come out of that country and his music mkes him one of the few world renown Greek artists.

Please keep in mind that these interpretation differ from person to person, this is what i've been told it means, someone else could interpret this differently.

: : Hi there!
: : For a longer I have been fascinated by the songs "O KAIMOS" and "ENA TO XELIDONI". But since I don't know greek (except one occasional word here and there)I have difficulties getting the hang of those songs. Both though seem to have quite a strong emotional meaning. Could anybody help me out with this?
: : Thanks! Mikael

: Song:
: ENA TO
: XELIDONI

: (M.Theodwraki Poiisi:Od.Elyti,"To Aksion Esti") Gr.Mpithikwtsis

: Ena to xelidoni ki i anoiksi akribi
: gia na gyrisei o ilios thelei doyleia polli
: thelei nekroi xiliades na 'nai stoys troxoys
: thelei ki oi zwntanoi na dinoyn to aima toys

: Thee moy prwto-mastora m' extises mesa sta boyna
: Thee moy prwto-mastora m' ekleises mes ti thalassa

: Parthiken ap'toys magoys to swma toy Magioy
: to 'xoyne thapsei s' ena mnima toy pelagoy
: s' ena bathy pigadi, to 'xoyne kleisto
: myrise to skotadi, ki oli i abyssos

: Thee moy prwto-mastora mesa stis pasxalies ki esy
: Thee moy prwto-mastora myrises tin Anastasi

: Song:
: KAIMOS

: [OMORFI POLI]
: (M.Theodwrakis stixoi:D.Xristodoyloy) Gr.Mpithikwtsis

: Einai megalos o gialos
: einai makry to kyma
: einai megalos o kaimos
: ki einai pikro to krima

: Potami mesa moy pikro
: to aima tis pligis soy
: ki apo to aima pio pikro
: sto stoma to fili soy

: Den ksereis ti einai pagwnia
: bradia xwris feggari
: na mi gnwrizeis poia stigmi
: o ponos tha se parei

: Potami mesa moy pikro
: to aima tis pligis soy
: ki apo to aima pio pikro
: sto stoma to fili soy

: I will leave the exact translation to someone else. However, I was really amazed by Ena to Xelidoni since I was a kid, we used to sing it at school in the 17th of November day for the Polytechnic of Athens events. As far as I am concerned it is refering to the struggle of the Greek people (and people in general) to achieve freedom or a better way of life. That is why it was used as a "solemn protest" in the years of dictatorship of '67-'74.
: Lyrics like: the "spring" will be costly, for the sun to return, it needs a lot of hard work. It needs thousands of martyrs and it requires that the living will give their blood as well.
: And then the lament to God, the Great Creator that has built this land closed by the sea among the mountains, knowing that there was a lot of pain and suffer by its people, but also knowing that the spring and final ressurection is near.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]