Re: The Pope's visit to Greece -my opinion.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on May 11, 2001 at 20:56:00:

In Reply to: Re: The Pope's visit to Greece -my opinion. posted by Somebody on May 06, 2001 at 00:46:11:

: Some might argue that guarding your religion and it's history as a "treasure" puts more emphasis on the kind of religion you follow rather than what your religion teaches you.

: The fact that (some) Orthodox Christians today (or back then) feel (felt) so betrayed by Catholics shows that they are (were) more concerned with the politics of Orthodoxy than they were with the teachings of Christ, as were the Catholics who split.

Not necessarily -in reply to your first paragraph. You see, my Orthodox denomination has been attacked both in the past by heretical sects such as Arianism and in the present through the media (although these are based on certain peoples spiteful opinions). Arianism had to be exposed and fought against. The truth often must be fought for and lies exposed. So we must guard and protect our Church against these attacks. Other denominations such as Catholicism also suffer the same attacks and they would need to do the same. Christianity as a whole suffers attacks etc etc etc.

And, yes, Orthodoxy is a treasure not only for the Orthodox but for all the world. The Holy traditions of the church and teachings by both Christ and the Apostles and the Holy Fathers of the Church are the treasures. The Orthodox Church's roots can be traced back directly to Christ and the Apostles. Patriarch and Archbishop Bartholomew of Constantinople is the 273rd successor of St Andrew the Apostle -to the Archdiocese of Constantinople.

This is not a boast but a fact. Delve into history. It's not that complicated as some people may think. Many people have searched and sought and found out this way.

As for politics I'm not sure. Many people died and suffered because of those atrocities. Is it not right to seek an apology on their behalf and to settle a matter to finally obtain peace? Forgiveness is good for both parties -both for the "forgivee" and the forgiver. And it's never to late to do so. "Blessed are the peacemakers."

Politics is often if not always based on egotism. If there is one truly awful spiritual disease in this world it is egotism. And because of egotism wars and other terrible actions (and small individual actions) have taken place and of course are continuing to happen. This will not end unfortunately until the Second Coming of Christ and Judgement Day.

Joanna.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]