Re: The Pope's visit to Greece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by b on May 07, 2001 at 01:28:53:

In Reply to: Re: The Pope's visit to Greece posted by Niko on May 06, 2001 at 21:23:22:

Just this year the Greek Patriarch accompanied the Pope during the Stations of the Cross during lent. The relationship between the Pope and the leaders of Greek Orthodoxy over the past few years have been terrific. No I don't believe the Orthodox Church would have attempted to block the Pope's visit. The tension between the two religions is, how did you put it, "cliche" at best. The Churches are working towards unity, the question is, are the followers following in step.

I stand behind my statements regarding the Pope's influence in Eastern Europe and in particular the reunification of Germany. Their is an abundance of supporting evidence for this, least of which would be statements by the CIA which have given much credit to the Pope. It should be noted that I am not saying the Papacy, I refer only to Pope John Paul II. The man, not the office.

I don't think there are general accusations of racism being made. I do beleive that term is being used when the subject of the need for ethnic purity is addressed. In those cases, the term racist is likely being used correctly.

Back to the bargaining power issue. Though I know Greece is not a Theocracy, the very fact that 98%+ of the population is Greek Orthodox makes the power of religion a power, whether express or merely implied.

There is great strength in your argument regarding what is accepted culturally is traditionally a matter of context. However, regardless of culture, there are certain practices which, regardless of what tradition holds, are utterly dispicable. It is an accepted custom in parts of China that if you give birth to a baby girl, tradition and custom say it is OK to drown the child and send it floating down the river. This is done because custom and tradition have placed a great amount of importance of carrying on the family name. The argument that custom and tradition should always be honored is silly at best. Your example in regard to female headware defies logic. The fact that woman began wearing them again did nothing to disprove that custom and tradition were opressive. They put them back on to assert a statement regarding an issue that was at best indirectly realted.

None the less, I did like your comments and enjoyed reading them. They have given me much to consider.

b

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]