Re: "Ola pane mia xara" - Interpretation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on April 30, 2001 at 06:40:04:

In Reply to: Re: "Ola pane mia xara" - Interpretation? posted by Mike A. on April 26, 2001 at 06:48:44:

: Hello Joanna,

: thank you very much for your reply. What you did is exactly what I was interested in: to find an interpretation for the lyrics.

: Like you I had also problems in understanding the message of the song. The funny thing is that MY assumptions were completely different from yours:

: I think that the singer (a woman in this case, as it is sung by Tania Tsanaklidou) watches and describes the atmosphere in a "mparaki" (somewhere in Greece I assume - despite the french coffee [may be it is a french brand of coffee?]). And she tells us that SHE for herself does not belong to this people, SHE is different ("nan' kala ta paidia, ma ego pethaino alliws"). These people are dreaming in a nostalgic way from a time that has passed ("afises retro", "tzaz kommati", "ton xameno kairo na psaxnoun oloi" klp.); they smoke and they discuss without much essence ("me tsigara varia, kouventes pou den vgazeis akri") and doing this they are happy ("ti kefi sta gnosta mparakia").

: She (the singer) does not agree with this mentality: "... na psaxnoun oi alloi" is "apati" because in reality "o kosmos einai pikros" and the humour is only "relative" (I think the "sxetiko" means that she does not really like the type of humour which characterizes the world today).

: And when she says "Mi rotas poios glenta tha deiksei o kairos" perhaps that means something like: "Just wait a certain time - some day these people will also see that life does not consist only of nostalgic thinking and fun".

: I am quite sure that the word before the question mark is indeed "ro(c)k". So the interpretation could be: These young people (therefore the "-akia") are like they would flee from the atmosphere of the rock music and the contemporary life to something more romantic, quiet etc. (namely to the atmosphere of the 50ies or 60ies or even still earlier, with jazz, old posters, in a "mparaki" with small tables as they were used before the war etc.). (Or perhaps quite different: Like OTHER people flee from the reality TO the rock music, THESE people here flee to the things I just mentioned.)

: Concerning the "pethaino" (I already mentioned above): I think here the word does not mean "die" but it has the meaning of "trellainomai gia kati", "mou aresei poly kati"). And this "something" is different (though she does not mention what it is).

: A problem remain the last two lines of the lyrics: "mpogiatismeno dakry" has perhaps the meaning: the sorrow of these people is fake (kati to pseftiko, prospoiito), like the tears in a film or a play on the stage). I think "alli genia" are the people the singer is watching and critizing - maybe they are much younger than herself. For the last line I can give no convincing explanation - maybe she (the singer) only says that she is once again ("pali") in such a "mparaki" where she is welcomed and surrounded by these people.

: What do you think of this trial of an interpretation?

: Michael A.

: PS: Sorry for my bad English, but as we started to write in this language I continued to do so.
: (Moreover, here in the office I have no greek letters on the computer.)

Mike,

Give me time to go over it. I'm finding it very confusing. But I do have great confidence in your interpretation.

Joanna.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]