Re: greek orthodox wedding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on April 17, 2001 at 00:49:34:

In Reply to: greek orthodox wedding posted by evelyn on April 16, 2001 at 06:53:27:

: hello

: My fiance & I are planning our wedding and I'm finding it difficult to decide whether to go ahead with an orthodox wedding or not. Firstly, although my fiance is not of greek heritage he said he'll fully support my wish for us to be married in an orthodox church.

: The dilemma is that whilst I feel a strong connection with my greek heritage, my family does not have strong links with others in the greek community. Hence, I am at a loss as to how to choose a koumbara/koumbaro - especially as I've been told the person must be orthodox. However,I do not beleive in just asking someone for the sake of it, I would prefer to ask someone who I trust/respect and have a strong connection with.

: At the moment I'm even considering just having a civil service and avoiding all the dilemmas of an orthodox service.

: Does anyone have any worldly advice??

: Evelyn
: ***

Evelyn,

Susan is right concerning the koumbaro (bestman) or koumbara (bestwoman). They don't have to be Orthodox. They are merely a witness. If they are not Orthodox then of course they cannot christen any children into the Orthodox Church. But don't worry about that. You can christen your own children or anyone else that is Orthodox can, such as your parents.

I believe that you should be married in the Orthodox Church since I would assume you were christened as an Orthodox person. Marriage is a Holy Sacrament which God gave to unite the man and woman. Under any other service (e.g. civil) you cannot be united in the eyes of God. This is a very blunt statement of mine but it is true.

I agree with Ourania that it's best to talk to a priest. Do not be afraid, embarrassed or intimidated to do this. His job and duty is to guide people. Find your local priest and talk with him. If you are not 100% happy with the answers he gives you then there is nothing wrong if you went and talked with a second priest.

Oh and another thing. You may have seen that alot of Greek weddings are spectacular ie alot of guests etc. This is not necessary so don't be put off. It is the church service that is THE important event.

Best wishes,
Joanna.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]