Re: age for marriage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by GS on February 20, 2001 at 05:22:35:

In Reply to: Re: age for marriage posted by Ya-sou on February 19, 2001 at 21:13:03:

: GS, Thanks for the response. I'm just curious from a social demographic/cultural standpoint. Reading all the postings and sneering remarks about adult Greek men living at home got me curious. You gave me a really wide range to work with! :) 18-45. Hmm.

: How about telling me what is the NORMAL age range?

The question you are asking does not have a direct answer. I believe the the reply below by the Kiwi-Greek is a very good example. It depends on the person, as it does for any country, (except of course some Arab and other nations, with fixed marriages from 15 etc.)
Would you be able to give me a difinite answer if I asked you the same thing about your country? Which country are u from by the way?
The fact that some (or many) people choose to live with their parents until they get married this doesn't mean that they marry earlier or later on in life.
The reason's for living with their families is that in Greece there are strong family ties and of course it's also a society thing, ie, in Greece it is very difficult to buy a house and when you do, you do it for life and that's why people do it usually only when they get married. A starting salary for a young engineer like me in Greece would be 250-300.000 drx per month (if you're lucky!!) = £600 (I don't know in US $ but i gather around 800?). What I get here in England is more than double!! Of course we are talking about a salary of a person that has got an MSc degree, imagine some other people who don't have these qualifications. The starting engineers in Greece for example get the money and the benefits that a trainee baker would get in the UK.
I could go on for long, but I think this should be enough for the time being.
Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]