Re: Olive Pomace Oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Constantine Alexander on February 02, 2001 at 13:40:08:

In Reply to: Olive Pomace Oil posted by thomas on February 01, 2001 at 14:57:29:

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for your interesting inquiry that has been the subject of much discussion by chefs, restaurateurs and consumers.

To begin with, olive oil is a world commodity, such as sugar or wheat, and, therefore, became the subject of the "International Olive Oil Agreement" in 1959. In light of the growing international trade, this agreement was designed to control the standards for the production and quality of olive oil and was administered by the International Olive Oil Council in Madrid, Spain. This agreement was amended in 1979 to include specific olive oil definitions and standards. The amendment requires that any product identified as "olive oil" be obtained exclusively from the olive and excluded from the definition is any oil from olives that is extracted by solvents (or re-esterification processes and any mixtures with other oils.

In other words, the designation "olive oil" cannot be applied to olive residue oils. An olive residue oil, by definition, is obtained by treating the olive residue, called pomace, (which is the substance remaining from previous pressings) with solvents. It may be classified as "refined olive-residue oil" or "refined olive-residue oil and olive oil". These classifications are suitable for human consumption.

The latter classification has subcategories: Crude Olive-Pomace Oil, Refined Olive-Pomace Oil or Olive-Pomace Oil. It sounds like the one you are asking about is the last one.

Olive-Pomace Oil is a blend of refined olive-pomace oil and virgin olive oil fit for consumption as is. Once again, however, in no event whatsoever may it be called "olive oil" according to the International Olive Oil Council rules.

If you want to learn more about olive oil, I invite you to visit my site at www.OliveTree.cc. We have endeavored to explain olive oil production methods and standards as well as various considerations for people who are interested in using olive oil in a raw form (such as in dressings for salads and fresh pasta) or in various types of cooking. We discuss flavor characteristics and have recipes for vegetarian, game, fish, poultry and even dessert lovers.

To answer your last question, I would like to say that I would never recommend olive-pomace oil to anyone. It has a very poor quality ranking in the list of oils.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Best regards,

Constantine Alexander
Olive Oil Consultant

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]