The marriage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mihalis on November 28, 2000 at 07:16:30:

In Reply to: Re: Difference between Greek Orth. and Christianity??? posted by Origional Jennifer on November 28, 2000 at 04:43:41:

Jennifer-

I am a Greek man married to a Catholic. The Greek Orthodox church will not recognize a member as being in "good standing" if they are married or receive communion outside of the Greek church. The Greek church will marry its' members to baptized christians of most denominations, however, it will not recognize that union if it does not take place in an orthodox church and is not performed by an orthodox priest. This means that there can be no weddings taking place in non-church sites or in other types of churches. It also means that they generally will not allow priests of other denominations to perform the sacrament with them. If anything they will finish and then allow the other priest some "air time". Other christian denominations will, conversely, recognize that marriage. I am sorry to mention that, but it is important to know. You asked why that is so and I will plead ignorance in that I still do not understand the logic. It seems somewhat ridiculous to me, but, hey according to Basil, I don't know what I am talking about anyway ;-). My wife and I went through this very same dilemma four years ago. We were married in a beautiful orthodox ceremony so as not to disavow either of us from our church. The Greek church always welcome conversions of the non-orthodox member, which always puzzled me. Why should the non-orthodox convert? Shouldn't they hold their own christian religion in equally high regard?

I want to wish you all the happiness and best of luck in your life together. Remember that with God all things are possible even if a few men stand in the way!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]