Re: interracial dating??? I disagree with BigGeorge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Basil on November 04, 2000 at 09:38:39:

In Reply to: Re: interracial dating??? posted by BigGeorge on October 31, 2000 at 19:25:28:

I disagree with Big George strongly! It isn't a matter of "Greek Supremacy" that is responsible for her parents' feelings. It's the realization that most intermarriages (even with Greek ones) end up with the rapid or slow (but sure) erradication of the Greekness ofthe children and (Hellenic) values in the family. You want some proof ? Read the story of Cat Stevens' or George Michael's (U.K. singer) feelings towards their Greekness or Christian Orthodoxy. More ? Check out the AOL 'singles' ads where Greek is mentioned. The majority of kids of mixed upbringing are Catholic, Jewish, or what-have-you.

Please don't think I'm racist. I love all citizens of this beautiful world. But the reality is: if you want to have your children also value this 'value' called "Greekness" marrying outside the faith (G.Orthodoxy) and language/culture is a BIG strike against these hopes.

By the way, there are several children of Greek/other marriages who I know in Canada who are extremely Greek and proud of their Greekness. But they are the very small minority.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]