Re: Best Man and wife in a greek wedding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Emmanuel Lazidis on January 22, 2000 at 01:03:55:

In Reply to: Best Man and wife in a greek wedding posted by web magic on January 19, 2000 at 02:06:14:

If the koumbaro is married, his wife is called the koumbara. Don't seperate them.
It's the koumbaro *and* koumbara.
You can seperate others if you want.
In your case, at the start of the ceremony, being that the koumbaro is already waiting at the alter with the groom, the koumbara walks in last *by herself*(after the others including the bridesmaids/ushers walk in) and of course before the bride walks in. (This stems from the custom that the maid-of-honor always walks in by herself).
After the ceremony, the newlyweds walk down first, then the koumbaro and koumbara, followed by the bridesmaids/ushers.
At the reception the order of entrance is, the bride's parents, the groom's parents, ring-bearers/flower-girls (if applicable), bridesmaids/ushers, koumbaro and koumbara, bride and doom..err I mean groom. :-)

The koumbaro and koumbara should sit at the same table, just like the bride and groom.
To make things easier get a "sweatheart" table (a slightly elevated table that seats two) for the bride and groom, one table with the wedding party and another with immediate family members. If the families don't really fancy each other then add an extra table as to seperate the two. In that case, you might also want to hire a few bouncers and contact a marriage councelor for future reference. ;-)

Good Luck, and Congratulations in advance.

- Emmanuel

: Hi there
: I am getting married this year and our best man (koumbaro) is married. At first we thought that the best man would be in the bridal party and his partner would be the 1st bridesmaid. Since then we have heard a whole lot of different things like the best man should walk into the reception with his wife and she should sit on the main table and have the first dance with him instead of the first bridesmaid.
: I just wanted to know what others have done and what is considered "the right thing". I have seen weddings done where the best man is married and his wife is not on the main table and I have seen where the wife is???

: Please help with any advice. Please reply back to:
: hi_there_999@hotmail.com.
: Thanks in Advance

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]