Re: The Way Greeks See Their Children vs. The World

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by manuella on September 05, 2000 at 14:46:01:

In Reply to: Re: The Way Greeks See Their Children vs. The World posted by atp on August 27, 2000 at 20:36:51:

I have been reading through many of these opinions regarding Greek /non Greek relationships, and I myself who is Italian and married to a Greek man, I do believe that every ethnic group would prefer their own race but I personally had no problems with my parent and neither did my in-laws. Of course it's easier when you marry someone of the same background, My parents always use to tell me marry whom ever you want as long as you are happy but yes we would prefer an Italian. Of course when I brought my husband home at the time they said it didn't matter that he was greek and as long as they saw the love between us, they never stood in the way.

The only difference for myself is the religion, and that's where mostly the problem is, as I am a catholic and my husband orthodox it's hard to decide which religion our children will be. We have come to a conclusion before we had gotten married. If this is not discussed before marriage, then you will have a problem. My husband and I have come to see realize both of our values, traditions, and families. We are the best of friends and we respect our families and our traditions. Make sure it goes both ways.

My opinion is that should you be a non greek into a greek relationship, don't let anything stop you if you both want and enjoy each other. My opinion it doesn't matter what nationality you are, if there is love and respect you will have more than you would expect. My husband is my bestfriend, and soul mate. For the love I have for him, I have learned the language, can't speak it great but I understand, where my in-laws could speak to me in Greek and I understand as my husband learnt the Italian language for my parents. I make sure that my children will learn the traditions and values of both backgrounds and RESPECT where they come from. (You see it's nice to kmow when we look at each other that we came a long way and we made it and now we teach our kids what our parents taught us.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]