Re: Cynical Greek Melbourne Girl

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Anastasia on August 24, 2000 at 02:19:47:

In Reply to: Cynical Greek Melbourne Girl posted by Lisa on August 20, 2000 at 22:41:53:

: Hey! I'm a 21 yo melbourne greek girl and I can relate. Being the first generation of migrant parents is hard as they are stuck in a greek world that exists only in their mentality.
Cheer up, you don't have to be a good greek girl or even marry a good greek boy (lord knows i've looked and they are extinct!!). A lot of what greek parents expect is unrealistic and unattainable. They are stuck in the old days.
I feel very greek even though many people don't know both my parents are greek (I'm tall and fair haired). It is hard to hold onto a culture but at least you know your roots, many people don't even have that. I have experienced being called a wog and a daego among other things but it only makes you stronger and makes you pity the ignorance of the cultureless people that label you.
My Australian boyfriend actually envies my sense of pride and culture. I mean what have Australians really achieved in 200 years? They had bowl haircuts till the Greeks and Italians showed them how to cut hair properly!!! :)
We have a rich and long history to be proud of.
I don't feel compelled to marry a greek, even though i know my mother would prefer it, but i would like to hang onto my 'greekness' and pass it onto my future children if possible.
I can relate to what you said but don't give up and be cynical. What about just trying to find a decent man instead of only limiting yourself to greeks? Have fun with your life!! And tell your parents to live their own if they are pressuring you, not to live through you. :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]