Re: RE: All those replays to inter-greek relationship......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Anne on August 09, 2000 at 01:53:18:

In Reply to: Re: RE: All those replays to inter-greek relationship...... posted by Stamatia on August 02, 2000 at 22:30:48:

I agree with a lot of what Stamatia has to say. What is this with all these people, i don't even know if they are greek or not, generalizing about everyone- especailly greeks. Not all greek men are chauvenists- no any of the greek men i have met are anyway, and none of the greek women i have met are "stuck-up"- rather the contrary. The women I have met have been sweet, intelligent, and very hospitable. One thing people have to understand is the concept of "CULTURAL DIFFERENCES" Yes, people in other parts of the world act and do things differently than you or I do. And, yes, with our culturally slanted and biased point of view, we may assume that they are doing things in a bad or harmfull manner. The problem is, it seems as if everybody just jups to conclusions and generalizations without ever TALKING to the people in question and asking them to explain what they are doing or what is going on, or why they do what they do. Take for exsample the question above regarding the woman who is troubled because her boyfriend does not invite her to family functions. That happened (and still happens) to me as well. But i talked with my boyfriend and he explained to me what was going on. Take the time to find out all the facts. Yes, my b-friend has told me that Greece used to be, a few decades ago, more male-centered and patriarchical. But, as he has said, the times are changing, and the great majority of men and women in the urban areas of Greece think and act just like most people in the modern western world.
In short, don't make broad generalizations based on what so and so said to you about Greeks (or whoever, and don't make braod assumptions about large groups of people when you have only interacted with a small few. When you do that, you dishonor the people you speak of, as well as yourself, because it is you who ends up looking like the fool when the truth is told. Tell all the personal stories that you like, just don't generalise when you don't have the statistics to do so.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]