Re: Growing Kalamata Olive Trees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Papa on July 21, 2000 at 06:26:54:

In Reply to: Growing Kalamata Olive Trees posted by Kristen Alston on July 02, 2000 at 21:20:41:

It should take about twelve to fourteen weeks for your seeds to germinate. I reccommend that you plant them in small pots that you keep moist and that you keep them in a sunny and warm spot of your garden. You could replant them in the ground after the trees are about two feet high. For a more accurate advise, please let me know where you live. The quality of the ground as well as the climate are very important. Your seeds are probably of the Koroneiki variety. I hope that you had them picked fresh and you are not using seeds from treated olives. The seedlings will need to be kept moist in a well drained ground (you could mix a little sand with your dirt to accompish that) and they should be fed with a liquid fertizer once a week. After the first year that they have been in the ground, things get much easier. Make sure that you protect them from small animals (rabbits, etc...) who will love to nibble on your young trees. A clear plastic tube with wholes is the best because it protects the young tree and at the same time it allows the sun light to go through.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]